These refillable squeezy tubes are THE BEST for storing your homemade sunscreen! I put a small one in each of the children’s kindy bags, and my husband has a medium-sized one in his backpack because he bikes to and from work. We’ve also used them for storing homemade baby bum balm with great success. The tubes have a wide opening so you can easily unscrew the cap and access every little last bit of your precious cream, then easily wash them when they are empty. Both the sunscreen and the baby bum balm preserved their original texture and viscosity for the few months they were stored in the GoToobs.
Please take a note of the following tips from Gotoob’s official (US) website: http://www.humangear.com/gear/gotoob
– GoToobs won’t leak under normal circumstances; however, accidents can happen. If you’re going to be violent with your GoToob, be prepared for the possibility of a leak!
– The tubes and collars are dishwasher safe (top rack only). The flip caps should be hand-washed in warm, soapy water.
– One of the limitations of the silicone material that GoToobs are made out of is that the suction cup only holds temporarily in the best environment – when stuck to a clean, smooth, non-porous surface (and the suction cup is moistened). This is why we promote it as “great for moments when you need both of your hands free.” It would be great if the suction cup could hold longer, but unfortunately that is just a limitation of the material itself. While we’ve been successful with the suction holding for about a day, all the conditions had to be just right.
– Why do some fluids dry up if left in GoToobs for months while other fluids get more watery? These types of reactions can occur because of the porousness of silicone. While some fluids can dry up, this is usually over several months. We’ve received reports that adding a small amount of water can restore fluids to their normal state if they dry up. Unfortunately, we don’t have a solution for products that become more watery.
The GoToob is made of high-purity, FDA food-safe silicone. Silicone is one of the safest and most inert materials in common commercial use. It’s not cheap material, but we decided to use silicone for the fantastic performance and safety it affords. However, no material is completely impervious. While GoToobs work great with thousands of different fluids, sometimes a fluid can react, affecting the silicone of the tube, altering the fluid, or both. It is a good idea when using any product in a GoToob for the first time either to test a small amount overnight or to pack the GoToob in a leak proof bag for protection.
Not Recommended (Mrs Goodness here: I really hope you’re not using most of this stuff anyway!)
While the range of chemicals used in modern cosmetic and personal care products makes comprehensive compatibility testing impossible, we have consistently noticed problems with the following chemical groups/product types and recommend against using them in GoToobs:
– Alcohols (Alcohols may be present in many cosmetic products, including make-up remover, mouth wash, astringent, hair serum, aftershave, and insect repellent).
– Salicylic Acid (most often used in acne treatments).
– Hair serums and treatments (detanglers, relaxers, volumisers, polishers, smoothers, shine serums, etc.) including shampoos and conditioners designed to add shine or lustre to hair as well as products with argan oil (like Moroccan hair oil).
– Silicone-based lubricants.
– DEET-based insect repellents.
– Hydrogen Peroxide.
– Sterile products. Even though sterile products may be fully compatible with silicone, GoToobs are not sterilised. Therefore, we don’t recommend GoToobs for use with fluids where sterilisation may be an issue, such as contact lens solution. This includes liquid or semi-liquid prescription medications.
– Caustic, corrosive, or flammable products. Many household chemicals are sold in specifically designed plastic or glass containers specified by the manufacturer and should never be decanted. GoToobs were designed for personal care or food items you may need while traveling–not bleach, drain cleaner, fire-starters, or hydrochloric acid.
Recommend Testing First
The following products are compatible with GoToobs in most cases. However, we’ve heard of problems in some cases when using these products and recommend testing a small amount in a GoToob overnight before general use or travel.
– Personal lubricants (non-silicone based).
– Almond butter.
– Liquid sweeteners (especially Stevia).
– Essential oils.
– Sunscreen and tanning lotions.
– Skin conditioning oil formulations.
– Castille soap.
Note: You will know if your fluid is incompatible if it leaks, changes the shape or colour of the silicone tube, evaporates from the tube, or dries up shortly after being put in the tube. Most reactions occur overnight; this is why we recommend an overnight trial run with a new product.